Montana Paraoptometric Section Rules
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of the organization shall be the MONTANA PARAOPTOMETRIC SECTION (MPS).
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The purpose of this organization shall be to assist and facilitate opportunities for optometric assistants to improve their job performance through networking, professional development and educational opportunities.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
1. Voting Members. Voting membership in this organization shall be open to persons employed or sponsored by members of the Montana Optometric Association.
2. Honorary Members. Honorary membership in this organization shall be open to persons who have rendered outstanding service to the organization or to the profession. Written nominations shall be made to the MPS Board of Directors and approved by a majority of the Board. Honorary members are not entitled to vote.
ARTICLE IV: DUES
Annual dues shall be determined by the MPS, approved by the MOA Board of Directors and are due not later than January 31.
ARTICLE V: OFFICERS
Officers of this organization shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
Terms of office: Officers shall be elected by the popular vote of the membership at the regularly announced annual meeting and shall serve for a term of two years.
Succession: No officer shall be allowed to succeed their office more than once.
President: The President, or in absence, the Vice President, shall preside at all meetings of the organization.
Vice President: The Vice President shall perform the duties of the President in the absence, or inability of the President to discharge the duties of the office. The Vice President shall also serve as official Historian of the organization. Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for the minutes of the meetings of the organization.
Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be responsible for reporting of the funds of the organization. Funds of the organization shall be kept with the Montana Optometric Association in an earmarked line-item account and will be reported to the MPS Board at the annual membership meeting or upon request.
Vacancies: Any vacancy among the elected officers shall be filled for the unexpired portion of the term of office by appointment of the President.
ARTICLE VI: COMMITTEES
Executive Committee: The Executive Committee shall be comprised of the elected officers and the immediate past president, and shall meet at the discretion of the President to transact any business deemed necessary. Additional committees may be appointed as needed by the MPS Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS.
1.The Board of Directors shall meet annually at the Montana Optometric Association Annual Conference, and as necessary on call of the President, or upon petition of a majority of the members of the Board. Board meetings require written notice of at least ten (10) days, except by waiver of notice signed by at least two-thirds of the board members. The Board may transact business by mail, by email or by telephone under the same conditions and with the same notice as other board meetings.
2. A majority of the Board shall constitute a quorum, and the act of the majority of the board members present at any meeting at which there is a quorum shall be the act of the Board of Directors.
3. A general membership meeting of the organization shall be held at the Montana Optometric Association Annual Conference. All members hall be notified of meetings at least fifteen (15) days in advance of said meeting by mail, fax or email.
4. Quorum: A quorum shall consist of a majority of members present.
ARTICLE VIII: RESTRICTIONS
All activities shall be in accordance with the high professional standards of optometry in Montana. This organization shall never be used in any way to negotiate in the matter of salaries or compensation of any of its members.
ARTICLE IX: AMENDMENTS
These Rules may be amended by a majority vote of the members present at a properly-noticed membership meeting. Notice of a proposed amendment shall be included in the official announcement of the meeting in which the voting will take place.